Sunday 10 June 2012

Cumin Spiced Aubergine and Sweet Potato Cottage Pie 

Here is my version of the Cumin spiced aubergine and sweet potato cottage pie.

I roasted a sliced aubergine, red pepper, half a red onion, and two large tomatoes (quartered) - with a drizzle of olive oil, drizzle of agave nectar and 2 teaspoons of cumin.  I cooked them for about 20 mins.  The smell coming from the oven was heavenly!

Meanwhile I peeled and diced 4 medium sweet potatoes, and steamed them for 25 mins.  Once steamed I mashed them with a splash of soya milk and a tablespoon of margarine and a bit of salt.

Once the roast veg was done I put a layer in the bottom of a dish and covered it with a layer of mashed sweet potato.

I'll pop it in the oven to heat it up again for tea and serve it with some asparagus and snap peas I think.

This made 2 dishes so I'm freezing one for later in the week.

I also made some lunch for the Monday and Tuesday, which is this little lot:


I diced an apple, one tomato, grated a carrott, grated half a courgette, added 1 teaspoon of shelled hemp seeds, 4 tablespoons of cous cous (this needs to be soaked in a little boiling water for about 10 mins before its added to the salad.  Also a handfull of sliced almonds and the juice from half a lemon to stop the apple from going brown and to add flavour.  And a bit of salt to season it.  This made 2 portions like the one above.

In case you are wondering what the rest of the family are eating - I've done some chicken fajitas for Simon and Becky.  I've made a cheese sauce to pop over the top before I heat them up in the oven later:

2 comments:

  1. Well done on the weight loss and that food looks delicious. The worse thing I find with food here is that when it is all growing well, I am so busy on the weeding etc and get back so hungry food is made in about 20 mins or I'm just not interested. I am going to have to look at how I can make better use of the food we grow, although raw maybe the way to go.

    ReplyDelete