Friday 29 June 2012

Mango & Pepper Risotto

We picked up an almost over-ripe mango which was reduced in price at the shop yesterday so I was looking for a way to cook it.  This is what I came up with, a concoction of my own this time!


Ingredients:

1 cup arborio risotto rice
1 red pepper
1 small red onion chopped
Half a mango - peeled and diced
Handful of small button mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil

Vegetable stock
150ml boiling water
150ml white wine
1 tsp swiss vegetable bouillon
1 tsp chili   )
1 tsp ginger )  see below!

Mix all stock ingredients together in a jug.

How To

Put the olive oil into a large frying pan
Add the onion and soften for a few minutes
Add the red pepper and onions and soften for a few more minutes
Add the rice and fry for 2 minutes

Add the stock a little bit at a time, letting the rice soak it up.

Cover and simmer for 10 minutes

Add the mango and cover and simmer for a further 10 minutes.

Keep checking the moisture levels, if the rice is starting to get a bit sticky add either more stock or just pour in a bit more wine. (I'll let you guess which I did!!).

I intended to put some quorn pieces in to bulk it out a bit, but they weren't really needed, it was a filling meal in itself.  For non-veggies you could add some diced chicken breast, browned in the pan after the onions have softened.  

It was really scrummy and the nicest 'healthy' thing I've eaten this month. The mango was quite sweet and tangy and went perfectly with the rice.

A little footnote about the chilli and ginger. I found these little gems in the freezer at the supermarket yesterday.  I usually buy fresh chilis and fresh ginger for specific recipes and invariably I end up throwing away half of them because they go off before I get around to making another dish that needs them.



How innovative are they?  Little pouches of chili and ginger that you keep in your freezer.  Each portion contains 1 teaspoon.  I guess you could always make your own by using ice-cub trays, but it doesn't half save you the hassle!


1 comment:

  1. Love those little frozen herbs. Here I've only seen garlic, and basil. Would love the ginger one. My addiction for some time now.

    ReplyDelete