Tuesday 26 June 2012

Back on the horse!!

Back into the healthy eating the past two days and feeling somewhat better again.


Today I want to mention puddings!!!

I found a recipe for healthy ice-cream. Except there is no cream in it so you really can't call it ice-cream.

I thought I would give it a whirl nevertheless.  It's the simplest of simple things.

You just take one banana and a handful of strawberries,  stick them in the blender, then decant to a plastic container and put in the freezer.

Problem No. 1 appeared when I sliced the fruit up and tried to liquidise them. No can do - I had to scoop them all out and cut them really finely - which did the trick in the end.

Problem No. 2 appeared the next day when I decided I'd like a scoop or two of the mixture out of the freezer.  It was frozen block solid. An ice-cream scoop wouldn't even touch it, I suspect I would have had more luck with a pick axe.   It took a couple of hours for it to defrost to a consistency that was still icy but ok to eat and not runny.   It was ok, just like frozen fruit really - quite refreshing for a hot day - but by no stretch of the imagination can you call it ice-cream. Still it was nice enough.



I found another recipe today which is similar which I have just whizzed together, and am going to try freezing it for about an hour before I eat it so it doesn't set solid.

Ingredients this time are:

One banana
Handfull of strawberries
2 teaspoons of raw cacao powder
A dribble of maple syrup

As my blender wouldn't liquidise all of that I poured in a little bit of rice milk - which worked a treat.

If you like dark chocolate you will love this - the raw cacao powder is more bitter than sweet and I might have been better putting just one teaspoon in - I will try that next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment