Thursday 24 March 2011

Reasons to be Cheerful 2011 - Part 1

Doug.ie posted an amazing short version of The Butterfly Circus over on the Wasting Land.  After struggling to get myself going mentally this morning it was just what I needed.  Starring Nick Vujicic - an amazing person whom I've seen on youtube many times (look him up) - it's a story of how a limbless man is transformed from being part of a freak show, showcasing his abnormal body, to a part of a circus where he learns what his strengths are and how to use them.  It's a very moving piece of film which had me in tears and ashamed that I was struggling even to get my head around getting out of the house today to go to the post office.

It was a reminder, that even when we don't feel effective in one area of life, that doesn't mean we can't be effective in another area.  I used to say that when I felt negative, that was the time to counteract it by doing something positive.  So today I've sent some emails that I meant to send earlier it the week, as part of a campaign to help a young lady and her daughter remain in the UK.  Leoni Mendi is originally from Cameroon. She fled there after the death of her father when she began getting death threats.  She befriended an English man on the internet who helped her escape to this country only to find he was part of a sex trafficing team.  She was smuggled here on and spent 4 months imprisoned and abused.  After becoming pregnant she was abandoned and tried to seek assylum.  She now lives in Newcastle and is the neighbour of one of my friends who is campaigning on her behalf.  Appeals to the Home Secretary and Nick Clegg have so far fallen on deaf ears.  Here's hoping things work out for her.

There is more information about Leoni here

No comments:

Post a Comment