Saturday 26 March 2011

It's been a funny old week

Having spent the best part of the week off work on doctor's orders - it's been a strange old time.  Monday saw me finally give in to the emotion of Sylvia passing away in December. I'd kind of just got on with stuff, and had plenty to get on with, which helped me to keep all the unpleasantness in the background.  Once I had got my OU stuff out of the way though it was harder to keep everything under wraps and over the past couple of weeks I've felt things coming to a head.  I wasn't entirely surprised - its the same way I dealt with things when I lost my parents, a bit of a delayed reaction so I was half expecting it.  I took myself off to the Doctors on Tuesday who promptly put me on a fortnight's enforced leave and told me to spend time trying to get my head around things - rather than push it to the background.  Certainly easier said than done I have to say. 

Most of the week I felt pretty shell shocked - although I have gradually been coming out of myself the past couple of days and am a lot better than I was at the beginning of the week.  Facebook has helped enormously - it's good to have somewhere to be able to interact with folks when I haven't felt much like going out and there's lots of folks there who share positive things so it's been good to be able to focus on the good. 

I have felt terribly guilty about not being at work and was enormously touched by the lovely gift of a flowercard which came through the post today from the girls in my office.  They really are a smashing bunch of ladies and it really is an honour to work with them. 


I got some more lovely post today. Some cd's I had sent for (another 'cheer me up' strategy) and a 'Gorguss' postcard and bookmark from my long-suffering pal Rue, which was another lovely surprise.  What would I do without him!




Simon and the girls have been great - helping out around the house and generally just being nice.  There's even been a reduction in the number of family arguments this week - they must be feeling sorry for me - lol.

Had to go to the dentist today.  Urggghh.  I don't usually mind them, but I've not been for about 4 years, since my long-term dentist surgery decided to ditch their NHS patients and make everyone pay a monthly payment plan.  So - I just really didn't get around to sorting out a new dentist (there's none others in the area who will take NHS patients).  Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I finally got in touch with the dental helpline who keep a list of dentists who have NHS lists  and found out there are about 12 in the centre of Chestefield - woo hoo.  I rang the first one and was delighted when they could make me an appointment 3 days after the phone call.  I wasn't so delighted when I went along and was told that I needed to have a crown on one of my teeth though.

Mind you, to be fair, I have had a broken tooth for the past 5 years which I know will, at some point, start giving me some serious jip if I don't get it sorted soon - and I have to say this was my main motivation in sorting out a new dentist. 

Well, first of all I got lost on the way to the dentist.  I decided to park at Aldi on the same road as the surgery - only it turned out that it wasnt on the same road as the surgery.  Then I remembered that the road was the next one along, only it turned out not to be the next one along. Doh.  I phoned Simon because I couldn't for the life of me remember what the name of the road was, despite the fact that when I worked for the housing association, we had an office there which I sent post to daily.  Clarence Road had been wiped from my memory apparently!!!  I eventually found it, just a minute late for my appointment. 

I don't usually mind dentists too much, but then I've never had more than a filling done before, so there hasn't been too much to mind.  Today was an ordeal though. Urghhh - an hour of hard work.  He had to drill out my existing filling, build it up again, take some moulds and then put a temporary cap on.  Anyway, the worst is over now and I go back in a fortnight to have the real crown put on - which should just be a 10 minute job.

Despite enduring all of the above this doesn't guarantee me a place as a patient.  I may get a letter in 6 months time, when I'm next due an appointment inviting me to be on their list. I shall have to mark that one on the calendar, they may decide they don't want me, I did nearly throw up a couple of times (what can I say, the dentist has large fingers!) so it may be back to the drawing board again.




No comments:

Post a Comment