Saturday 11 June 2011

Update

Back in April I posted that I was really struggling with work at that time.As an update, I decided to apply for a 3 months career break, and also took a month's unpaid leave while my application was being considered.  The career break has been granted which started at the end of May and I have to say it's really good not have to get up at 6.30 every morning!!

Simon wasn't too convinced that it was the right thing to do.  I'm not always the best person at self-motivation - and I think he had visions of me either going right down the tubes, or sitting on the internet all day and every day.  But whilst I understood his concerns, I felt it would be the best option for me, and armed with the knowledge that I know I can be my own worst enemy, I decided to be positive and to make it a time to unwind mentally, take things a bit slower, and also get some long-standing jobs finished in and around the house.

So we're 6 weeks into my 4 month break and I'm doing great.  We've had some visitors; Lily came to stay last month in the middle of the Alarm Tour and as mentioned elsewhere, Eileen has been down for a few days also.  I had a feeling, right back at the beginning of the year, that this year we would be having a few visitors to stay over - usually we have one or two folks in the year and that's it.  With that in mind, we had agreed with Jenny to do away with her high bed (she's the only person who can physically get up there), decorate her room and use it as a guest room whilst she is away.  Well, the transformation hasn't quite happened yet.  I've been banned from starting anything else in the house until Simon has finished the bathroom - which could be quite a while as he hasn't got a lot of spare time on his hands at the moment.  Thank goodness for the bed settee!!  Our next visitor will be my brother-in-law Les, who is coming down at the end of July for a Leeds/Newcastle friendly match - and I'm quite excited to see who the rest of the year will bring our way to stay.

So as well as visitors, I've organised some regular lunch time meet ups with a few of the girls and am trying to get in some walking as well.  I've got a few sewing projects that I'm determined to finish while I have the time, and more projects I want to start.

We have a 3 week trip to the States coming up in a month, and still lots of planning to do for that, so I have plenty to do. In fact, I'm not sure how I shall manage to fit in working when I have to go back ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Allow yourself one day at a time Pauline.. This sabatical is solely for you.
    So excited about your trip and so very much enjoyed my time at the lovely Chez Woods. It is such a warm and welcoming home. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lily, it was lovely having you stay - really enjoyed chatting and getting to know you better x

    ReplyDelete