Thursday 2 June 2011

One way or another

We have my sister visiting for a few days next week.  She has MS and is unable to walk even really short distances now, so this morning I headed into Sheffield  to pick up a wheelchair from Shopmobility.  What a great service they provide.  £20 refundable deposit to hire a wheelchair for up to 6 weeks.  All they ask is for a donation.  

I had it all planned out, where to park, just a short distance from Shopmobility.  Until the road I was planning on parking on had been turned into a one way system.  Oh, I am so not good at thinking on my feet (so to speak) when I'm driving.  I like to have the route planned out in my head, so I know exactly where I'm going.  A quick u-turn and furiously trying to work out where I knew to park, saw me in the usual multi-storey car park of choice, a good 15 min walk away from where I needed to be.  No problem I could do with the exercise. 

Spaces were scarce and I ended up on the 3rd level.  Coming down the stairs I made sure to check they had a lift.  They did. Phew.

I had a nice wander through the town centre. I used to work up this end of town many years ago, although it's undergone quite a bit of development since then.  The sun was out and it was lovely to see some pavement cafes with patrons chilling in the sunshine.  How leisurely! 

After a 10 minute transaction I had custody of one nifty wheelchair which I proceeded to push back to the multi-story.   Once back I realised that the lift system didn't work, and on checking with the assistant learned that they hadn't been operable for ... oh ... about 20 years.  I had visions of me pulling the wheelchair behind me up 3 flights of stairs.  Fortunately the assitant came to the rescue and did what assistants are supposed to do best.  Assist!   He looked after the chair at the exit while I brought the car around.

So, now Eileen's carriage awaits and she shall go to the ball!!! All we need now is some good weather to get us out and about and we should be flying.

2 comments:

  1. and the weather is tops...enjoy the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Doug.ie. We have a 13 mile walk along the Northumbria coast planned for tomorrow, so I'm hoping for a bit of a sea breeze! Can't fault some good weather though - I love it.

    ReplyDelete