Sunday 23 October 2011

Rochdale

It's been far too long since I had a decent night out or drank half of my weight in alcohol (ok, so I exaggerated the latter).  Knew last night was going to be a good one though, it always is when we meet up with the Stockport lot.  The Stockport lot (not to be confused with the Stockpot Lot which are more to do with hearty winter stews) are Paul & Sheila, Andy & Sally and Steve & Julie.  The fellas all worked with Simon quite a few years back now at Stockport Council and although all have gone their different ways now career-wise - we've always kept in touch.  We tend to have 2 get togethers a year, one camping expedition including kids (that are of an age to still appreciate camping and don't yet find hairdryer and straighteners essential - which now that I think about it, is only the lads) and another autumnal trip to a cheap hotel deal weekend in various parts of the North West of England.  

This year we get an extra trip as Paul and Sheila  were celebrating their 50th and 40th birthday's respectively, and also their son Lewis has recently turned 21.  So we all made the trek to Littleborough (near Rochdale) for the celebrations.

We booked in at the The Rake Inn for the night before wandering up to the Conservative Club (yes, I know) where the do was being held.  Hotel was lovely - it's a tapas restaurant that does accommmodation at the back.   It's a 16th Century building and is purported to have a ghost of a 'laughing cavalier'.  I did see him having a sly smoke in the garden outside our room, but that turned out to be a stone statue and the effects of a couple of pre-party glasses of wine.

Great night had by all though - I took some photos of the room (see below) - because it was so nicely renovated and would have been cheap at twice the price.  I gave up on photos after that point though as alcohol only aids the wobbly picture syndrome where I'm concerned so I cut my losses early.

It never ceases to amaze me that no matter how many years go between hearings, but there are some old disco songs that are indelibly imprinted into my psyche enough for me to remember most of the words to.  Low point of the night however, was when a highly recognisable song intro started and I exclaimed, 'oh I love this' only to realise it was Reach for the Stars by S Club 7.  Oh the shame.

Some pics of the accommodation:

Our accommodation for the night




Hobbit sized doorway



Most comfortable bed.  Ever.

Making ourselves at home





There may be some very dubious photos of me appearing on Facebook in the coming days or weeks, but these should just be disregarded as an imposter who looks a bit like me.






Folksy

No comments:

Post a Comment