Monday 24 October 2011

Bakewell

There was me thinking I'd finished all of my galavanting this holiday, when Becky reminded me that I had promised to go out with her for the day today as it's half term. 


So we had a drive out to Bakewell and lunch at the Famous Bakewell Pudding Shop - one of our favourite eateries in Bakewell.  They've recently extended downstairs and  had a collection of Christmas decorations and pressies, and a whole section of  alcohol, jams and preserves - all made locally.  So I bought a couple of christmas pressies for folks and a bakewell pudding to bring home for Simon. 


There's a new Apothecary shop opened where the sweet shop used to be so we had a wander in and I got a delicious honey bathbomb and a small china heart shaped dish for the bathroom.



The town was heaving with folks, it being half term, market day AND the sun was cracking the flags - so it was a bit of a squash getting into some of the smaller shops.  We looked at drum books in the music shop and I spotted a gorgeous Mandelin hanging on the wall.  Hmmmmm!!!  No I can't play.  I can barely remember a few guitar chords despite having a full blown acoustic Fender sitting in my living room.  I really should dig it out sometime soon.  But the mandelin can't be THAT much different to the guitar.  Can it??

Busking in Bakewell


Anyway, I should really put such things from my mind, I have a million and one craft projects to be getting on with and can't be going off at a musical tangent on a mere whim.

Colourful Cafe Advertising

A cornocopia of books

Apart from a food shop tomorrow and a wedding card commission - I'm hoping that I get a chance to relax over the next day and a half before I'm back in work again.  For some reason once October hits, things seem to be manic and non-stop until Christmas - it happens every year and I have no idea why, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to it.   And it always catches me unawares!

You have to smile though!



Folksy

2 comments:

  1. I used to go to Bakewell once a month for the farmers' market. Nice to see there are good changes to the place. Although we visited often we tended to go down the road to Rowsley and eat at Caudwell Mill. There was a lovely tea shop though at the top of Sinclairs (think that was what the place was called, but they sell china and glassware downstairs and the cafe is upstairs). Emma also took me to a nice place in one of the alleys off the main road near the roundabout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The farmers market was in full flow today, and the plan was to visit it before we left, but Becky wasn't feeling so good so we had to give it a miss. One day I will catch it! I don't think I've been to Cauldwell Mill - will have to stick it on my list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete