Wednesday 25 March 2020

Clampdown

Well, from Tuesday 24th March, 2020, the good folks of the UK, whilst not completely confined to quarters, have entered what is possibly best termed as a, well, I'll let The Clash explain:





So it seems as good a time as any to start blogging again, if only to pass some of the time in a more constructive way than sitting on my phone for large portions of the day.

So Tuesday, the first day of The Clampdown.  

I can't remember the last time I exercised, and Simon can't do his regular 3 times a week swimming at the moment with the swimming pools shut.   Whilst not quite in the age group for self-isolation, as we aren't getting any younger, we thought if we managed to get out for a wee bit of walking every day then that is better than nothing.  So we had a wander around the town. It was hard to equate the glorious sunny day, with what is happening, except that fact that the park was empty, the play areas cordoned off, and I waited outside of the corner shop whilst Simon went in.  The few people we did encounter were people walking their dogs, and either we or they crossed to the other side of the road to give as wide a berth as possible. 

We saw our neighbour from 2 doors down as we got back to the house and had a bit of a chat about the state of things.  He'd been shopping for our mutual neighbours, an elderly couple who are self-isolating, who had requested beer and toilet rolls.  Pretty much the same supplies they had asked us to get them the day before. I fully expect to hear drunken singing wafting across from their garden in the next evening or two. I hope so anyway. 

Yesterday I had dug out from the shed some plant pots and seed trays, and scrubbed them and left them in the conservatory to dry overnight.  So after a spot of lunch, I set too filling them with a bottom layer of pea gravel and a load of compost.  I retrieved the seed kit that Simon had bought me for Christmas to discover that it included tiny biodegradable pots and a small disc of some sort of compost stuff that expanded on watering.  I ignored the stuff I'd already done and sorted out planting some veggies seeds into the little pots that came with the kit.   

Next up I had a bit of a treasure hunt, trying to remember where I had put the couple of packets of loofah seeds that I'd bought a few months back. I knew they wouldn't be in a logical place, like the utility room, shed or garage, and eventually found them buried on a pile of paperwork on the spare bed. Well, it made sense to me anyway.

I got up a youtube tutorial to see the best way to plant the loofah seeds, and apparently it all involves some nail clippers, kitchen roll, water and a plastic bag!  The mind boggles.  Not a plant pot or compost needed quite just yet. I set the pots aside in the conservatory; at least they will be prepared for planting in a few days time. 

One of my fave TV programmes is First Dates, and I just adore Fred Sirieix. I got his book as a pressy from my birthday from Becky and Rob and thought it was time for a bit of light reading to counteract the doom and gloom that has been so (understandably) pervasive for the past few weeks. 

Had a lovely long chat with my sister. She's had a really tough time of it the past few weeks, having gone almost straight from a 3 month neuro-rehab stay, into the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle with  urospesis. She's back home now though, still not 100% but getting there and sounding like her normal self again.  Having MS she's self isolating and I am desperate to see her but just need to be patient until we get through the pandemic.

Caught up with the girls and friends via the various message aps.  It's a gruelling and worrisome time for all in different ways, especially those who are ill or on the front line working for the various emergency services.  It's heartening to see how everyone is doing their best to lighten the load for others and pulling together though, and it's those things  I need to concentrate on as much as possible over the coming weeks.

I'll leave you with the loofah vid as I know can't wait to see what on earth you need the nail clippers for!!











No comments:

Post a Comment