Saturday 22 June 2013

Saturday 22 June

So another eventful week in our lives.  I managed a total of 2 days in work this week - woo hoo.  I didn't start back until Wednesday and had taken Thursday off as leave to head down to Coventry to see the mighty Bruce Springsteen and the E ... Street ... Band.

As always it was an awesome night.  Another mini-Waster meet-up before with Rue & Sarah Waster and Andy D in the orangest pub in Coventry!  After a quick tea we headed off to see the extremely generous and wonderful Nikki Waster who was transporting us to the gig and back.  The weather was torrential as we headed down the motorway, and had subsided to a medium shower when we arrived in Coventry, but I am pleased to say it was dry when Nikki dropped us off round the corner from the Ricoh stadium.

Bruce opened with the sombre Ghost of Tom Joad, a very powerful and moving rendition, but I hoped that it wasn't a sign that we were going to get the whole album!!  Fortunately we didn't and after the very serious start, Bruce began to loosen up.  Early in the set he picked a handful of signs from the crowd to play before announcing that tonight they would play, in its entirety, the Born to Run album.  This was as a tribute to band friend the actor James Gandolfini who had passed away unexpectedly the day before.   We were an appreciative audience although it was a little strange to get Thunder Road, Born to Run and Tenth Avenue Freeze out mid-set rather than nearer to the climax of the night.

Great night all round though, loved every minute and how he and the band manage to keep this going for over 3 hours is beyond me.  He did look excruciatingly tired towards the end, but for a 62 year old fella, that aint a complaint. There was loads of feel good moments, especially during the interaction Bruce had with the audience, picking their songs, getting folks up to dance or have man hugs - very emotional in places.

Friday was back in work with extremely sore knees this standing around watching bands play is really not good for me!!!  Had a phone call from Jenny in the afternoon to tell me she had got the results of her final - a fabulous 2.1.  She was very pleased with that, and we are so, so proud of her.  Its hard to believe that 3 years has passed since we first took her down to Cambridge and here we are, she is coming home today now that her course has finished.  One last visit next week for the graduation ceremony and that's her done and dusted.  A new chapter will begin as we start to look for accommodation for her in London before she takes up her new job there on 3rd September.  Major family changes again.

Today Simon has taken Becky down to Warwick University to their open day as its on the list of places she is considering applying to for her course next year.  She went off to Manchester yesterday and Oxford earlier in the week.  Next week its Durham and another trip to Oxford.  The way the days have fallen I can't get to any so she is going either with Simon or meeting up with friends she knows there. They are then popping over to Cambridge to collect all of her worldy belongings and bring her home.  There's a bottle of Moet chilling in the fridge as we speak.

So to pass the time today as I was intending going to Warwick but car space prohibits it, I've got myself off to the local garden centre, bought a mini (child's size) rake, 2 strawberry plants, mint and marjoram plants and a liner for one of my hanging baskets.  I've been in and out dodging the rain showers all afternoon but have tidied up a couple of corners of the garden, and planted the rest of my bedding plants.  My work is done there for this week.


When potting up earlier in the week one of my planters sheared in half, so I've sunk it in the ground and planted some mint in there.  Hopefully it will contain it and I won't have mint running wild all over the garden. I've put it next to the arbour as it smells really nice.  I used the bottom half of the planter for a marjoram plant, then put some bedding plants around about to fill the space up.  Hoping they will take.

My broken planter recycled
 










































Strawberry plants


Some of my pots and Cyril the Snail

View from the house













No comments:

Post a Comment